Essential Back-to-School Automotive Tips
As summer vacation draws to a close and parents, high schoolers, and college students alike begin to prepare for a new school year, people often find themselves in search of the best car to fit their needs.
Whether it’s a young adult heading off to college for the first time or a family upgrading to a larger vehicle for the upcoming school year, the back-to-school season is typically one of the most crucial times of the year to reassess – or at the very least, service – your car.
From Hennessy Ford Atlanta to you, here is everything automotive you should consider this back-to-school season!
The summer vacation can be tough on cars, with long road trips and scorching temperatures taking their toll. As a result, it is crucial to ensure that your vehicle is ready for the transition of seasons. As back-to-school time approaches, be sure to:
- Change your engine and cabin air filters (because it’s likely dusty, sandy, or somewhere in between after your summer road trip!)
- Get an oil change
- Get a wiper blade and possibly a mirror replacement (the days will be getting shorter; you’ll likely be spending more time in the vehicle, and visibility matters more now than ever!)
- Have your vehicle deep cleaned
- Rotate your tires
- Test your battery
By taking a little time to service your vehicle before the fall rush begins, you can fend off problems down the road and keep your car running smoothly throughout the season. Our Summer Road Trip Service Bundle covers the essentials, so take advantage of it before Labor Day!
Calling All Parents!
Attention, parents: the end of summer vacation is quickly approaching, and it’s time to start getting ready for the upcoming school year!
One way to help make this annual transition effortless is to add some new accessories to the family vehicle. Here are a few items that can help make life with school-age kids a little bit easier.
- Seat covers: If you’re worried about spills and stains, seat covers can be a lifesaver. They’re also great for protecting the upholstery from wear and tear.
- Storage bins and Cargo nets: These are perfect for organizing supplies, snacks, and toys, which is especially handy if you’re constantly ferrying kids to and from extracurricular activities.
- Floor mats: With all the extra foot traffic in and out of your car during the school year, you’ll want to protect your upholstery from dirt and spills with a set of quality floor mats.
- Jumper cables: A set of jumper cables should be in every vehicle. You never know when you’ll need them, so it’s best to be ready!
- First-aid kit: Having one of these on hand is always a good idea, especially if you‘re transporting small school-aged children regularly. Prepare for scrapes, cuts, and bruises with a well-stocked travel first-aid kit.
- Sunshade: School days tend to start early, so help your kids (and yourself) dodge the harsh morning sun by investing in a good sunshade for your windshield.
With a little preparation and some helpful accessories getting the family vehicle ready for back-to-school season can be a breeze!
Stock up on Supplies
For most students and parents alike, this means buying new clothes and supplies, organizing schedules, and preparing for some big changes. Summer is winding down, and it’s time to start thinking about back-to-school necessities.
Whether your child is starting kindergarten or heading to a university, they will need a few essential items. Here is a back-to-school checklist of must-haves for any student:
- A backpack: Choose one that is comfortable and has enough room to store textbooks, notebooks, and other supplies.
- Stationery: pens, pencils, paper, and other writing supplies.
- School uniforms or clothing: Check with the school to see if there are any dress code requirements and prepare accordingly!
Please join Hennessy Ford Atlanta as we partner with Kids in Need Foundation to collect school supplies that will be used by under-resourced children and teachers in Title I schools across the Metro-Atlanta area. With a new school year on the horizon, all students must have proper access to school supplies.
If you are unable to make it by one of the dealerships, but would still like to have a hand in making this school year a success for so many students and teachers, we invite you to donate directly to Kids in Need Foundation and add a note that it is part of Hennessy Automobile Companies Back to School Supply Drive. School supply donations can be dropped off at any of the 10 conveniently located Hennessy Automobile Companies dealerships around Metro Atlanta.
Off To College
As that transitional time to part ways from family and head off to college draws near, it’s essential to ensure that your car is ready for the journey. Here are five back-to-school automotive tips that will help both upcoming and returning college students:
1. Clean it out
A clean vehicle is a happy car, and it’ll make your commute much more pleasant. Take some time to vacuum the floors, wipe down the dashboard, and remove any junk left over from summer!
2. Get it inspected
Before hitting the road, make sure your car has been serviced and is in good working order. Doing so will help you fend off surprises (and unwanted expenses) along the way.
3. Plan your route
Doing so will help you dodge getting lost, overwhelmed, or taking unnecessary detours. Map out your route in advance and make sure you have a clear understanding of both the roads you’ll be traveling on your commute and the roads near campus.
4. Pack wisely
Believe it or not, the weight of your car can impact your gas mileage and handling on the road, and right now we are all looking for ways to increase our vehicle’s gas mileage. When packing your vehicle for the trip back to school, be mindful of how much weight you’re adding by packing efficiently.
5. Drive safely
Above all else, make safety your priority when driving back to school. Observe the speed limit, use your best judgment, and do away with distractions!
The Best Back-to-School car For You
It doesn’t matter whether you’re looking to buy a bigger vehicle for your family, gifting your high schooler or up-and-coming university student with their first car, or making your first big purchase as a young adult. If you’re in the market for a new car, truck, or SUV this back-to-school season, here are three best practices you’ll want to keep in mind:
Do your research and have a realistic idea of what you can afford monthly. Once you’ve established your budget, you can start narrowing down your options.
What are your transportation needs for this new vehicle? Do you need room for a large family or fuel efficiency for long commutes?
Always test drive your car of interest to ensure it is right for you. After all, this is a substantial investment!
So, which car is right for you?
Parents of School-Age Kids
If you’re the parent of a grade school student, you’re probably looking for room and reliability above all else. In this case, we suggest the Ford Explorer for an easy switch this back-to-school season.
Whether you’re a parent looking to buy your child a sweet sixteen gift or a student who has been saving up and just earned their license, one’s first car is usually not their most glamorous. However, something safe and affordable like the Ford Escape would be an ideal pick here.
When heading off to college, safety and affordability pair up with fuel efficiency as the most crucial factors to consider when purchasing a car for the back-to-school season. We recommend the Ford Edge for any university student with a sizable commute.
Need a Recap?
Whether you are the parent of a school-aged student, a college student headed out on their own for the first time, or somewhere in between, you should now have the tools needed to navigate, dictate, and fulfill your automotive needs this back-to-school season.
- Find the best back-to-school vehicle for you
- Consider our five essential automotive tips for new and recurring university students
- Calling all parents: stock up on supplies (and consider donating to under-resourced students and teachers at Title I schools through Hennessy’s Back-to-School Supply Drive!)
- Calling all parents: accessorize your vehicle for the upcoming school year
- Make sure to get your car serviced as the season shifts
At Hennessy Ford Atlanta, we truly believe in treating our customers like family. If you are looking for a new Ford this upcoming school year, you can view our full inventory and test drive your next car today. From our family to yours, safe travels!
8 Essential Road Trip Games to Play This Summer
Road trips are back on the rise in popularity, with a survey from The Vacationer suggesting that around 80 percent of Americans will be taking a road trip this summer. If you are part of that 80 percent, from Hennessy Ford Atlanta to you, here are eight crucial road trip games to play this summer.